More Recent Comments

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Boycott Science.org

 
We all get spam in our mail box and usually there's nothing you can do about it. This time there is. I got this message today.
Subject: Award Acknowledgment for sharing great PHYSICS information to the public

Dear Blog Owner,

Our website Science.org is a informational databases and online news publication for anything and everything related to science and technology. We recently ran a poll asking our website users regarding what online informational resources they use to keep up to date or even to simply find great information. It seems many of our users have labeled your blog as an excellent source of Space information. We have reviewed your blog and must say, we absolutely love the information you have made available to the public and would love to make your blog a part of our top science blogs. After browsing your blog, our research team has decided to award you a Top science Blogs award banner.

It is a distinction we offer to the blogs that our team feels is ahead of the curve in terms of content.

Thanks again for the great information and we look forward to the great responses your blog will receive from our site. Your blog presence will be very effective for our users (top science blogs).

We have put great efforts in making this decision to give deserving with award acknowledgment. For listing please reply to request banner.

Sincerely,
--
William Lee
Research team
Science.org
1 international blvd
Mahwah NJ USA - 07430
201 247 8553
editor.science@gmx.com
It turns out that Science.org is an actual website. Mr. Lee apparently believes that by lying to Blog Owners he can enhance the reputation of his website.

That ain't gonna work. Any website that emails such lies does not even deserve a link.



13 comments :

Bayesian Bouffant, FCD said...

Wowza. And its odd that if the e-mail was sent on behalf of science.org that Mr. Lee lists an e-mail address at a different site.

SouthernFriedScientist said...

That e-mail seems to be making the science blog rounds.

Harriet said...

Back when I was an undergraduate I received an "invitation to subscribe" to a science magazine (NOT Scientific American; I was already subscribing to that)

It started: "Dear colleague, we know of your work..."

My friends and I had a huge laugh over this; remember that we were struggling to make decent grades in routine undergraduate courses at that time. :-)

Ian said...

Physics, huh? I was complimented on my Astronomy information. Do they just choose the subjects at random?

Anonymous said...

Sandwalk is definitely about space. It's what astronauts do on the moon, a moon sandwalk.

Blair said...

I got one of those emails too. It was odd enough to make me suspicious. Like, where's the banner? How sad?

Daniel Mosquin said...

Thanks for the write-up -- saved me from having to do the research when my BS-meter started ringing.

Cuttlefish said...

Once again, Groucho Marx has come to my rescue. Any group that would award me must necessarily deserve suspicion.

Bjørn Østman said...

I just got it too, and I couldn't get over the grammar:

We have put great efforts in making this decision to give deserving with award acknowledgment.

Sounds like one of those Nigerian email.

Anonymous said...

Willam Lee editor.science@gmx.com is getting more harmless ... The new text is:

"Great information on science. I have my website science.org, I need your blog involvement in promoting my website through giving us little acknowledgment on your blog http://www.gps-camera.eu. And your are most welcome to post any science related article on my website. Thank you for spreading great science related information to the public. Best way to reach me is through email (editor.science@gmx.com) I am looking forward for your reply."

I can not tell that we are much scientiffic. Even if we try to keep the level high :o) So this is still unwanted mailing and some kind of SPAM.

Cheers
Sebastian

Lara Rostov said...

I just got it too,Mr. Lee apparently believes in "Imagination is more important than knowledge"-
in the wrong sense.....
Your blod is very nice!

Darlene said...

oh my friends, it goes much deeper than science.org. James Whitfield (the real name of the guy behind it all) is encroaching on my own business, and this person owns DOZENS of domains. Here is the list that I've obtained so far: go ahead and browse them, most of them look the same.

Jimbo is relentless in his pursuit of spamming site owners to link to his "free publications". My belief is he first gets the links for SEO, then will turn them all commercial.

www.nycounseling.org
http://www.anxiety.net/
www.disorder.org
www.disease.com
http://MedicalSchool.org
http://www.newlawyer.com/
www.hospital.com
http://therapycounseling.com
http://www.gynecology.net/
http://www.physician.com/
www.preventsuicide.net
http://www.americachess.com/
chessboss.com
www.lawschool.org
http://www.science.org/
www.attorney.org
www.laws.com
www.newdoctor.com

Anonymous said...

Dear Colleagues,

My message for all scientists is the same. Science is under threat because science is being peddled. See my more detailed comments at:
http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2012/02/thousands-of-scientists-vow-to-b.html

Leave your feedback there!